Sunday, April 6, 2008

Garage Spirituality

I had the most incredible spiritual experience the other night. It was in probably the most simple churches i have ever seen. My mates call it the man room, its basically a garage that hasn't seen daylight or fresh air in decades. But it was here, that I discovered my Garage spirituality. I didn't enter the man room feeling particularly 'Jesusey' (otherwise known as Holy), i just wanted to get band practise over and done with.
And all was progressing well.
Wonder.
Take it all.
One Way.
Hosanna.
And then my mate walked in. He had just been shopping and as he browsed the supermarket aisles had a epiphany. He arrived home with his epiphany in hand and laid it on the pool table in the middle of the room.
White wine, Garlic Loaf and port glasses.
'Um guys, i dont do the fellowship with other christians kinda stuff anymore, but i was wondering if since your hear, could we do communion.'
The band were polarised by this question, some fuming over heresy, others bathing in the beauty of the simple honesty. Here was a mate, crying out for Christian fellowship, and the chance to remember Jesus sacrifice within the context of our little garage community.
In that simple act, my often religious faith was tranformed, i no longer strive for piety, merely honest simplicity.
Real
Honest
Honouring
I believe as we sat together praying and worshipping. Jesus was stoked.
My mate continued with communion until the bottle was empty.
We just worshipped.

1 comment:

Tash McGill said...

welcome to the blogosphere.
i like your stuff.
keep writing timmy eh!